Market St. Power Plant
Located in New Orleans, LA
Photo © 2007 Tom Kirsch, opacity.us
Market St. Power Plant History
Built in 1905, the generating station on Market St. in New Orleans supplied electrical power to the city by burning coal and using the waters of the Mississippi River for cooling. In 1922, the New Orleans Public Service Inc. (NOPSI) was founded, and deemed all power to the city would be supplied from the Market Street plant. The power plant was eventually shut down in 1973, and left to decay. The successor to NOPSI, Entergy, sold the plant in 2007 to Market Street Properties LLC for $10 million. Plans to redevelop the site into residential and commercial spaces are being formed, and in the meantime the space is sometimes used for filming movies.