Located in Newington, CT
Photo © 2005 Tom Kirsch, opacity.us
Hartford Drive-In History
The drive-in movie theater formerly operating at 2322 Berlin Turnpike in Newington, CT, opened in 1946, and was one of the first in the state. The E.M. Loews chain operated the theater and it was managed by Dick Buzzell for all 50 of its seasons. It closed in 1996, and sat unused except for the occasional flea market or Christmas tree lot. Efforts to try and re-use the theater failed, as well as large retailer ventures (such as Wal-Mart). The property went for sale in 1999, and in 2005 it was demolished for a housing development.