Eagle River Power Station
Located at at an undisclosed place in United States of America
Photo © 2005 Tom Kirsch, opacity.us
Eagle River Power Station* History
This monumental Neoclassical-style power plant was built circa 1915 and put into service in 1925, burning coal that was brought in from barges on the river. It's grandiose architecture reflected the pride and fortitude of the electric company, whose services were being particularly scrutinized by the public at that period of time. The 15 acre site even housed the world's largest generator at the time.
The power plant closed in 1985 after 60 years of operation, and although a few transformers are still live, the site crumbles from deterioration. Parts of the 130 foot high cruciform ceiling are collapsing into the turbine hall, and the air is rank with the noxious odor of many chemicals seeping into the floors. Efforts are being made to register the site as a historic building and possibly renovate the power plant into useable space.
* Note: the name "Eagle River Power Station" is a pseudonym; the real name of this location is currently undisclosed.