Hulking edifices of brick and steel rose from the misty brown fields that were once carefully maintained lawns. These structures, dedicated to being the cutting edge of psychiatry in 1950, now rotted away in shame. Our target today was a central complex of buildings A (the tower), B, and C, which were connected together via above-ground walkways.
The campus was expansive, relatively flat, and walking around in the daylight was a bit risky, but we were in luck as a warm air mass descended upon the town and provided a thick veil of fog. It was also Thanksgiving Day, and no one seemed interested in patrolling the place this morning.
A service building near the edge of the property provided a lovely underground steam tunnel that seemed to head in the right direction, but we found it was back filled some ways up, so we slogged through the wet fields and into an open window. Hallways seemed to stretch forever in a giant institutional maze, which is always disheartening to see, but the vast modern architecture looming in the silent fog was awe-inspiring.