This hospital was originally constructed to treat Tuberculosis and other infectious diseases that were spreading throughout the surrounding major cities. The plans for a structure with a capacity for 75 patients were expanded to a 250 limit. The building, completed in 1912, featured large verandas for sun baths, a recommended treatment for TB at the time. The hospital claimed to be the first to use the Rollier sun method of treatment, which consisted of rolling the beds out of the rooms and onto the terraces through large French doors.
As new drugs were discovered to combat TB, the building became obsolete. The hospital was converted for use as a developmental center in 1960, educating the mentally handicapped for the next thirty years. Following the trends of the country, patients were transitioned out of the hospital and into group homes, ultimately closing the facility in 1993.