Photo © Tom Kirsch, opacity.us
- Also Known As:The Hartford County Home for the Care and Treatment of Persons Suffering from Tuberculosis, Cedarcrest Regional Hospital
- Location Genre:Psychiatric Hospital, Sanatorium / Isolation Hospital
- Age:104 years
- Demo / Renovated:2012
- Decaying for:36 years
- Last Known Status:Abandoned
This state hospital opened in 1910 as the Hartford County Home for the Care and Treatment of Persons Suffering from Tuberculosis in Newington CT. Two treatment pavilions and a larger medical center stood atop Cedar Mountain, and cared for the region's TB patients. The hospital was re-named Cedarcrest Sanatorium in 1925, as part of an effort to improve the image of the state sanatoria in the public eye. After the development of the Tuberculosis vaccine, the need for the hospital dwindled, and it ceased treating the disease in 1976. One pavilion was demolished, and the other, called "Hospital Two" was left abandoned. The campus was transferred to the Department of Mental Health where it became the Cedarcrest Regional Hospital. The medical building was re-purposed as a psychiatric hospital, treating those with mental disorders and addictions.
Cedarcrest eventually closed in 2012, and the property went to auction. With no bidders, it currently sits disused. The old Hospital Two pavilion from the sanatorium days was eventually torn down in 2012.