Located at an undisclosed place in Italy
Photo © 2009 Tom Kirsch, opacity.us
Ospedale Bartolini* History
This sanatorium was built under the rule of Benito Mussolini, and opened in 1936 .Constructed on a hillside, the building was just over 1.5 miles long. It treated people with brain and spinal cord injuried, as well as other incurable afflictions. In the 1970s, the hospital administration changed and most of the campus was rebuilt, becoming one of the top hospitals in its field.
Much of the hospital is still in operation, still specializing in the treatment of brain and spinal injuries. An old WW II-era wing remains abandoned, even after two attempts to auction it off in recent years.
* Note: the name "Ospedale Bartolini" is a pseudonym; the real name of this location is currently undisclosed.