Photo © Tom Kirsch, opacity.us
- Also Known As:The Massachusetts Hospital for Dipsomaniacs and Inebriates, Foxborough State Hospital, FSH
- Location Genre:Psychiatric Hospital, State School / Developmental Center, Inebriate Asylum
- Age:125 years
- Demo / Renovated:2009
- Decaying for:33 years
- Last Known Status:Renovated
The latter course of the 19th century was a period when alcoholism and drug abuse was treated with a similar regard as insanity. As the curative power of the asylum became the recommended treatment by physicians, specialized inebriate asylums were constructed to confine the patient in an effort to dispel the craving for alcohol. The Massachusetts Hospital for Dipsomaniacs and Inebriates in Foxborough was no doubt the finest in the state. Designed by architect Charles Brigham, the hospital consisted of a number of separate treatment pavilions adorned with ornate cupolas. In 1905, the hospital began treating psychiatric disorders; the name of the institution was changed to Foxborough (or Foxboro) State Hospital in 1910. By 1914, all drug and alcohol related cases were transferred to the Norfolk State Hospital (AKA Pondville).
The series of buildings originally designed to isolate alcoholics were bridged together sometime after the conversion to a mental health center. The wide passages that connected the dormitories were used as day rooms. A large addition in the 1950s created tiled dormitories in a separate but similar-shaped wing, transforming the hospital's footprint into an L-shape. Other facilities on campus included a theater building, chapel, farm, staff residences, and two patient cemeteries, holding an estimated 1,100 unknown remains.
In 1976, Foxboro State Hospital ended psychiatric services, however various entities continued to operate on the campus such as the Department of Motor Vehicles, and Jaycee's Haunted House attraction in the hospital's theater. Some dormitories were still utilized by the Department of Mental Health as a developmental center. These entities ceased operations sometime in early the 1990s due to the risks of asbestos and general deterioration, and the facility was left abandoned.
In 2009, the hospital was renovated into a residential-retail-office complex called Chestnut Green.