- Location Genre:Sanatorium / Isolation Hospital
- Age:114 years
- Demo / Renovated:N/A
- Decaying for:22 years
- Last Known Status:Abandoned
This hospital was erected in the early 1900s to treat tuberculosis patients who were otherwise taken care of in former mansions owned by the city. Although plans called for a simplified design to save on construction costs, the building remains elegant to this day with its neo-baroque architecture, mansard roof, and sculpted interior details. The hospital layout resembles a T-shape, with the central kitchen and lounge areas in the center and wards in the wings that ran along the front of the building. The wings were carefully designed to allow optimal sunlight and air circulation.
In 1942 the hospital was seized and operated by the German military through 1945. The facility continued to treat lung diseases for quite some time; in 1962 two more buildings were constructed nearby - an orthopedic hospital and a rehabilitation clinic, although all have been abandoned since 1992. The old hospital building is currently awaiting preservation and is considered a protected historic site.