Lost and Found
Erich Wagner Kindersanatorium
Located at an undisclosed place in Germany
Photo © 2007 Tom Kirsch, opacity.us
Erich Wagner Kindersanatorium* History
This institution began as a home for orphaned children of railway workers in 1927, and was transformed into a children's sanitarium under the public health system in 1958. Here, youngsters stricken with severe asthma and atopic dermatitis were treated over a 6 week period, and were given educational lessons at the same time. Boys and girls were housed in two main buildings with a common gymnasium, and were further separated into groups by age. Each group had a room that slept no more than 8 beds, and were given the age-appropriate toys to play with. Treatments included physical activities such as long walks on the nearby beach and extensive boat rides, as well as contemporary medical procedures.
After the reunification of Germany in 1990, many public buildings such as the sanatorium fell into disuse in the area. The hospital closed in 1991, leaving no one to upkeep the structures and grounds, and so they slowly fall victim to vandalism and neglect.
* Note: the name "Erich Wagner Kindersanatorium" is a pseudonym; the real name of this location is currently undisclosed.