Middlewood Hospital Chapel
Located in Sheffield, Yorkshire England
Photo © 2006 Tom Kirsch, opacity.us
Middlewood Hospital Chapel History
Just outside the city of Sheffield was a psychiatric hospital named The South Yorkshire Asylum, which was built in 1869 and opened in 1872, and was designed by architect Bernard Hartley. Its name was changed quite often (West Riding Asylum from 1890, West Riding Mental Hospital from 1930, Middlewood Hospital from 1948), and reported 1,189 patients living on campus in 1975.
Most of the hospital has been demolished or renovated into Wadsley Park Village, a residential community. The church was sold off but after failed planning attempts it remains empty. The church was used briefly in a TV show called "The Last Train".