The hole in this wall once contained a large rough-hewn stone, engraved with the following:
Foundation Stone from a House of the Massacred MacDonalds
Glencoe Scotland 1692
Erected by a Descendant of the Clan 1916
A photo of the stone in place circa 1960 can be seen here.
Collections of river rocks can be seen embedded in the mortar in the adjacent bays, which were an interesting touch.